Thainie Places: Elvira (and not the Princess of Darkness)

A lot of people always ask when and how did I get into sewing, well I started sewing about 5 years ago, just after my daughter was born.  I wanted to make Halloween costumes for her as well as other crafty projects.  I looked around and checked out Elvira's sewing center at Taisin Square (right off the Phra Khanong BTS Station).

A couple of years ago the cheapest machine was 4,000 baht but now they start at 8,000 baht, other brands in the malls are cheaper but the thing about buying Elvira is that it comes with a membership that gives you discounts off sewing supplies, a subscription to their sewing magazines (with patterns and projects) and the best thing is you can get free lessons there as much as you like, they are very happy to help, even in English --- since it's more seeing than saying anyways.  I still remember breastfeeding and then popping out to an hour sewing lesson.  Other brands are usually the same with giving lessons but at times (also when there's only one staff attending) in the malls the space is not adequate for lessons so it's nice that you can pop into here anytime.

So I suggest if you want to give sewing a try, research the machine you want and also look at your budget.  You really don't need an expensive all automated machine (even though they're really cool and easy to use), you can even bring in a project that you want to work on and test the machine out with it.  

There's also so many videos and how to's online nowadays when I didn't have the time or when I needed a refresher course on sewing different projects.  Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help!  Happy crafting!  

No comments:

Post a Comment