Thainie Treats: Easter Egg Cakes

One more Easter tutorial for a quick and easy treat for the kids to decorate and get hyper from!  This came about only because I'm honestly scared of boiling eggs.  I just cannot ever get it right, so I chickened out and thought of making cake in the shape of eggs and also getting a chance to try my hand at making fondant (have been watching a little too much Cake Boss lately and was inspired).  So I searched making fondant on the web and it turns out it's not that hard.  Here's the recipe I used for making marshmallow fondant.   And here's the step by step:

- Start with the egg,  this you can make by baking any cake if you have time or I just bought some S&P butter cake (sort of like Sara Lee but this is cheaper, it was 2 for 1 and it taste just the same)

- Empty the cakes into a big bowl and mush with a potato masher until crumbly

- Use a couple spoons of icing to bind and make it easier to shape/mold

-  Shape cake into egg shapes (turns out the butter cake was really easy to shape and mold) and when you finish making your egg cakes, put them in the fridge 

- If you've made your fondant already, you can take it out, I like to use a cutting board wrapped in plastic wrap for easy clean up, put a little powdered sugar on board and place the amount of fondant you need and roll flat

- Wrap your egg cakes up --sorta like wontons--- this was my first time but I found the fondant really easy to work with just as long as you keep powdering them with powdered sugar

- And hopefully you get egg-looking cakes!  You can either mix your own paints by using food coloring and powdered sugar, pretty much all experimental since I'm not really sure how the end product will look like but another decorating alternative is adding sprinkles or colored icing?   This is definitely a sugar overload treat, so maybe once the egg cakes are done, note to myself...don't give the whole egg for them to eat all at once!

So now just have to see if the kiddies like them?!  Will post finished decorated eggs, stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Wow!Love da idea :) I like working with MMF too. Easier n tastes better! :)

    ReplyDelete